The firm's origins date back to the early 1890s and it's documented history can be traced back to 1914, when the firm was purchased by Robert E. Carr and James Hare.
In 1927, after the death of Robert Carr, James and Bernice Hare purchased his share of the business, and in 1939, E. Robert Carr and Charles Landers began their careers at the funeral home, which they went on to purchase in 1940.
Soon after, the firm's name was changed to Carr and Landers. In 1949, Charles Landers became the sole owner of the funeral chapel, changing the firm's name to C.H. Landers, Inc. in 1950.
In January 1972, the funeral home was purchased by James A. Barnhart, who has retained the firm's name for the past 42 years of his ownership.
In 2011, the funeral chapel was honored to be named the Sidney Chamber of Commerce Business of the Years, of which the company is very proud.